Treating Adults with Co-Occurring Complex PTSD and Substance Use Disorders: An Emotion Regulation Approach
Presenter: Julian Ford, Ph.D.
Dates: Wednesday-Thursday, April 10-11, 2013
Times: 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. each day
Cost: Full Rate - $370; Student/Group Rate - $333
Location: Holiday Inn, Brookline, MA
The psychobiological underpinnings of the interrelationship of complex PTSD and substance use disorders will be described as a foundation for developing treatment goals and selecting approaches to treatment that address the core dilemma of impaired emotion regulation (including its bodily, information processing/dissociation, relational/attachment, and self/identity aspects). Case examples will be used to illustrate a transtheoretical approach to treatment, using the presenter’s TARGET model as a template for integrating a variety of approaches. Participants’ case examples will be discussed in order enable participants to utilize the emotion regulation framework in their own practice with clients with co-occurring disorders.
About the Presenter: Julian Ford, Ph.D. is a clinical psychologist and Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Connecticut School of Medicine. His clinical and research work and teaching focus on assessment and treatment of complex traumatic stress disorders in children and adults, including developing and disseminating Trauma Affect Regulation: Guide for Education and Therapy (TARGET©) and overseeing the Developmental Trauma Disorder Field Trial.
His recent books include:
- Treating Traumatized Children
- Encyclopedia of Psychological Trauma
- Treating Complex Traumatic Stress Disorders
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: Scientific and Professional Dimensions
And books forthcoming this Fall and in 2013:
- Treating Complex Trauma: A Sequenced, Relationship-Based Approach
- Treating Complex Traumatic Stress Disorders in Children and Adolescents: An Evidence-Based Guide
- Clinical Assessment and Treatment Planning for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and other Posttraumatic Reactions
- Hijacked by Your Brain: How to Free Yourself When Stress Takes Over.
To enrol in this workshop, please be sure to submit both the Registration form as well as payment. If you prefer to enrol online using PayPal©, please use one of the following direct links.
Full Rate - $370
Student/Group Rate - $333